Tuesday, September 22, 2015


Two walks have settled into my bones this week.  This is what feeds me in a way like teaching feeds my favorite professor, my BiL.   It is the uncertainty that makes me appreciate the certain, and the unexpected that helps me cope with the routine.   

This weekend I hit a point as I went about my housekeeping, where I felt that itchy craziness beginning to bloom deep in my emotions.... I knew from experience that if I didn't give my feet voice on a trail, I would soon be taking out some nonsense on my sweetie and my cat, so I dropped it all and went forth.   There are so many trails out here that I have not walked, it is easy to come up with one or two to meet.   And so I did.

A good supply of water, a snack and emergency med gear and bear spray, and I drove off to hit the trail.   It felt so very good to let my legs enjoy the long inclines that lead to such delicious scenery around here.  I pause frequently to look around me, up and down, and to listen to what is around me.... people sawing firewood in the distance, couples coming down the trail as I made my way up, a lone biker who reported the trail was dry to the pass, flickers, red tail hawks, gray jays, a warm front swooshing along the pines.....the soundscape is as varied as the forest and hills.  

Walking these places gives my conscious mind a chance to be open to all my senses, and I find myself playing with words when I am done as I drive home.... What means "sublime"?  What means "subliminal" and how are the two related?   Why does gazing across miles to a formation that dwarfs me reach a deep part of me like a vibrational key?  And speaking of keys and notes and tones, are visual frequencies hearable to some creatures?  Are sounds visible to some?  

No comments: