Monday, September 14, 2015

A Nature of Hearts

I just got back from joining my mate for his 50th high school reunion.

I had no idea what to expect.   He had told many stories of his youth to the grandkids....they were all about his adventures and misadventures, and the thing that stood out to me was the details that enhanced each story, like raindrops giving sheen to a leaf.  He cherished those events, and the memories, I could tell.

Now I was on the edge of meeting some of the characters in those stories.  Would I be totally lost, melting into the present as they all relived the past that gave them communion?   I knew I would have problems remembering any new names, tho I knew some already.

So as I began to meet these people, the first thing I noticed was how many individuals resembled celebrities from movies and politics.  I have no idea why my brain was playing this game with me... maybe to help me remember the faces.

But there was still the name issue I always have.  

Ah but let me back up.  The first thing we did was a tour of the high school where so many stories had their origins.  Having no experiences there myself, I could easily imagine that I was a time-travelling archeologist, wondering about who built this structure, and what it was used for, how did they fabricate the materials.... and through some technological feat, I could walk the halls with some who had experience there.   Tales from the elders of victories and defeats, of drama and legends.... it was all there to hear.   I watched eyes scan the lockers, walls, rooms, and auditoriums.  There was  genuine reverence in the air, and there was an awareness I could see of their own time travels.....a JV volleyball tourney was taking place as they strolled through.  

The people themselves were warm and open, and made me feel very welcome.   At the dinner in the evening there were more stories and remembrances of both classmates and teachers, some gone on and some present at the dinner.  

I have never experienced the sort to bonding I witnessed here.   My own high school days are ones I would just as soon forget, but I admit this is just one viewpoint.  I know there were classmates that did not attend the reunion, and the reasons were in some cases mysterious.   I know other folks personally who, like me, have no desire to reconnect with the folks they never fit in with in high school.

I look at my sons and grandkids.... I think they had a better experience at least with friends from high school with whom they maintain connection and I am grateful for this.

I hope experiences like mine in high school are in a great minority.  I wish a rich experience to all who share those days, and if a class can nurture the same healthy bonds of friendship I witnessed at that reunion, it is doing well.   And the world may be better for that.  

No comments: