Friday, July 27, 2007

Too much for one life?


These days, I feel strangely inadequate to hold all the things I'd like to, emotionally. I mean, I know I must be missing people. I write letters and send stuff to people voraciously when I miss them, and I made several trips to the post office in the past week. I've been writing like crazy, too. Nothing serious or marketable but blogging, catching up on my commitment to share our travel stories with folks. I have a marketable idea, but it seems the hardest thing in my world for me to send the query letter.

Perhaps it is this feeling of my world stirring up and me being part of the great wooden spoon. Or shall I say, oar? Anyway, before BiL got here, there was a massive interior repainting that we both are very happy to view each day. But once you make an improvement everything else begins to beg its shoddiness be revamped. The carpets are really looking frayed. My breathing does better in a rugless environment. So now we are looking at replacing the carpeting with wood flooring, and with that, replacing the bathroom carpetings with porcelain (in a stone finish). And the garage cannot be neglected. Its conglomeration of boxes and tools is patiently asking that we put in some shelves to tidy IT up.

I could just say no. But then we'd have that awful un-feng shui thing going on.

Well, BiL at least, seems to be happiest with his life in a sense of evolution. So the house is going along with that. I will, too, for the present. I like to think that a more organized garage will give some of the un-fs features of my glass working room a place to go, too.

I have heard "As above, so below" and in my life it is often "As inner, so outer". My body has dealt with congestion for years, and now that is clearing with wiser diet and clearer air. Is it any wonder that my home is following suit and coming into a more creative order?

I keep reminding myself of that on the days when I feel so overwhelmed that I don't know which contractor I should be calling next.

And all of this comes back to the fact that I cherish it all, every moment of it, really. It's not just the evolving of the household, but the growth and development and downright blooming that I see in all my loves. BiL is facing and managing tremendous changes in his personal and family life, my grand kiddos are each immeasurably beautiful souls, my kids who are no longer kids blow me away with the way they live their lives, the challenges they meet with more grace than I ever thought I had myself after many more years. Even my dad is handling the not so kind things his age has dealt to him with patience and resolve that surprise those of us closest to him.

We have more hot days than we should this time of year, but the nights offer reprieve and when the rains come they are that much more precious and instill thanks in everyone. And Thanks is a great place to be, to pray from, to love from.

No comments: